A1(M) back to normal after crash closed southbound carriageway at Welwyn
POLICE re-opened the A1(M) southbound between junctions 6 at Welwyn and 5 at Hatfield at 4.15pm just in time for the rush hour following an accident earlier in the afternoon when a vehicle overturned after hitting the central reservation. The southbound c
POLICE re-opened the A1(M) southbound between junctions 6 at Welwyn and 5 at Hatfield at 4.15pm just in time for the rush hour following an accident earlier in the afternoon when a vehicle overturned after hitting the central reservation.
The southbound carriageway was closed for almost two hours while firefighters removed four people from the vehicle and the wreckage was cleared. At one stage police also closed the northbound carriageway at the scene after the Air Ambulance was called in case it was needed to take the injured to hospital.
The aircraft was not needed and the northbound lanes were opened again very quickly. The injured were taken to Lister Hospital Stevenage by ambulance
This evening a police spokesman said a 52-year-old woman from Blackpool and a 60-year-old man from Hopwas near Tamworth are in a stable condition with hand injuries.
A 28-year-old woman from Blackpool and 57-year-old woman from Hopwas near Tamworth suffered minor injuries.
PC Adam Frost from Central Area Road Policing Unit said: “It is unknown at this stage why the vehicle came to collide with the central reservation. I am appealing for anyone who has any information or who witnessed the collision to come forward and contact me.”
- 1 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 5 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 6 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 7 Hitchin Boys head to National Athletics Final
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 10 Alice, 10, set to chop long locks for Ukraine aid
Anyone with any information should contact PC Frost (2050) via the non-emergency number 0845 33 00 222.