‘A wonderful, joyful occasion’ – Much-missed Baldock fundraiser’s mother is licensed as church reader
- Credit: Archant
The mother of an inspirational wheelchair-using fundraiser from Baldock who died aged just 19 has been licensed to preach in the church they both loved.
Katrina Nice, of St Mary’s Church in Baldock, was licensed as a reader by the Bishop of Hertford Rt Rev Michael Beasley at St Albans Cathedral on Sunday, following years of study.
Katrina’s daughter Victoria died in September last year after a lifetime with spina bifida and hydrocephalus, and only a month after using a handcrank wheelchair attachment to power herself 5km around London’s Olympic Park for charity.
Victoria was also an enthusiastic member of St Mary’s – and being a reader means Katrina can now preach and lead worship there.
Katrina said: “It was a wonderful, joyful occasion – there must have been 300, 400 people there. People said that I couldn’t stop smiling.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought I might find it really emotional because Victoria wasn’t there. I had some tears about that on the way there, and painted my nails – I never do – in her honour. Then I just entered into the moment and it at all flowed.”
She added: “This is about spreading the gospel into everyday life, not about me.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
“I think readers take church into the world, and bring experience of the world into church.”
St Mary’s vicar Rev Andrew Holford told the Comet: “We’re delighted that Katrina has joined our licensed staff team.
“She’s an excellent preacher and is able to communicate to a wide number of people in an accessible way. We look forward to continuing to work with her at St Mary’s.”
Also licensed as readers at the same service were Martin Hannon, of St Paul’s Church in Letchworth, and Dawn Jenkins from the Hitchin and St Paul’s Walden team ministry.