‘A small act of solidarity’ – Voices for Syria concert in Baldock to raise money for victims of war
- Credit: Archant
A fundraising concert in aid of Syrian refugees will be held in Baldock on Saturday.
The ‘Voices for Syria’ concert, in aid of Christian charity World Vision and their Syrian crisis appeal, will feature pianist Madalina Rusu, sopranos Laura Valentine and Hannah Long, and Christchurch Baldock minister Chris Jenkins singing tenor.
The programme will include Bernstein, Lloyd Webber, Dvorak, Borodin and more.
Laura said: “World Vision focuses on supporting children – their motto being ‘every child free from fear’ – and we are suppoting their Syrian crisis appeal in particular.
“We continually hear heartbreaking news about Syria – terrible to think its been going on for six years now – and see shocking images on TV.
You may also want to watch:
“We are parents ourselves with young children, and it is unbearable to think of the horrors those children have to experience day in day out.
“As musicians we have a skill which enables us to bring people together for a fantastic evening of entertainment and in doing so raise money for this very worthy cause.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
“One hundred per cent of ticket sales will go to this charity.”
Chris added: “I see this as a small act of solidarity with those suffering, especially children, in the conflict in Syria.
“Christchurch is supporting the event to show Christian love in action.
“I will also be saying a few words about the love God shows to us in Christ which in turn motivates us to love others.”
The concert is at the Baldock Arts & Heritage Centre and starts at 7.30pm on Saturday, September 24.
Tickets are £10 each. To book see bahc.co.uk.