A slice of cake to celebrate as Hitchin food bank base marks first birthday
- Credit: Archant
Happy birthday to us - the Hitchin Foodbank distribution centre has celebrated its first birthday.
The centre, part of the Letchworth Foodbank operation which serves North Herts, has fed more than 1,200 people over the past 12 months.
More than 50 friends, supporters and volunteers enjoyed a bring and share lunch and a slice of celebration cake.
The centre is part of the Letchworth Foodbank which serves Letchworth, Hitchin and Baldock, and is based at the scout hall attached to the church of Our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew in Grove Road, Hitchin. The initiative was brought to fruition by many people from Churches Together in Hitchin who worked hard to set up the centre and reach out to the needy people of the town.
The centre is open on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10am to noon for people to bring their vouchers, which are given by professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, CAB and police who have assessed their needs.
You may also want to watch:
Churches and schools of Hitchin regularly have food collections to stock the warehouse in Letchworth.
The team has built up good stocks of food and is now turning its focus to finance as there is a new warehouse with a substantial rent to fund.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
To make a donation to the Foodbank please go to letchworth.foodbank.org.uk and click on the mydonate icon at the bottom left of the homepage.
Letchworth Foodbank is part of the network of foodbanks operated by the Trussell Trust, a Christian charity that does not affiliate itself with any political party and receives no government funding. This year The Trussell Trust’s foodbank network has fed 26,000 men, women and children nationwide.