‘A particularly nasty way to start a Monday,’ says Hitchin BMW crime spree victim
- Credit: Archant
Police are linking four BMW break-ins during a crime spree in Hitchin within the space of a few hours last night.
All four crimes happened in the Walsworth area, and in each case the driver’s side front window was smashed - but nothing was taken.
Crimes were reported in a car park off Woolgrove Road between 9.30pm last night and 7.45am this morning, in nearby St Faith’s Close between 8pm and 8am, in Millstream Close between 2am and 5.45am and in Franklin Gardens between 11pm and 7am.
Greg Rose from Hitchin, whose grey BMW was attacked in Millstream Close, told the Comet: “It’s quite concerning as it seems to be a targeted attack on BMWs.
“I spotted it this morning as I went to drive my car to work. Then a neighbour came over and told me it happened to their BMW as well.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a particularly nasty way to start a Monday.
“I think there’s been a spate of cloning incidents in which people target the on-board diagnostic port with cloned keys to fool the car into starting.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 8 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 9 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 10 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
“The fact this is a specialised attack means it is even more concerning.”
Police say there is a link between the four crimes, but that nothing was taken from any of the cars.
If you have any information regarding these break-ins call 101 quoting crime reference number G1/15/1475,76,77 or 78.