A Look at the Past: Journey starts at coach inn
PUBLISHED: 12:29 09 November 2006 | UPDATED: 11:11 06 May 2010
The Rose Inn, 75 High Street THE first property on our tour of High Street is number 75, The Rose, which occupies a site along Rose Lane and through to Church Street. Originally there was a different building on the site, and the pub was called the Rose
The Rose Inn, 75 High Street
THE first property on our tour of High Street is number 75, The Rose, which occupies a site along Rose Lane and through to Church Street.
Originally there was a different building on the site, and the pub was called the Rose and Crown.
In 1785 it was one of the five main coaching inns in the town.
In 1830 at least seven coaches called daily - at 5am there was the Rockingham from Leeds, at 7am the Express from York, at 9am The Union from Leeds, at 1pm the Express to York and the Regent from Stamford, and at 1.30pm the Union to Leeds and the Regent from London.
By 1847 it was known just as The Rose, to avoid confusion with the Crown Inn nearby.
The following advertisement appeared in a local newspaper in 1837:
The old pub was pulled down in 1898 when owned by Jarvis and Company of Bedford.
Ruffells of Bedford secured the contract to build the new house at a cost of £895 and it opened in 1899.
Charles Wells Ltd took over Jarvis and Co in 1917 and the pub continued in its ownership until 1996 when it became a free house.
Notwithstanding the loss of a storage building in Church Street to improve access to ASDA supermarket, the pub has retained its original Victorian character.
Rose Commercial Inn
Having taken the above old established Inn (late in the occupation of Mr Crouch) begs to assure commercial traveller and members of the public generally that he had laid in stock of the best wines and Spirits and provided comfortable beds. He therefore trusts that by the strictest attention to the accommodation and comfort of his customers to insure that patronage and support which it will ever be his study to retain; at the same time he feels it his duty to return sincere thanks for many favours he received whilst at the White Horse and hopes for continuance of the same at his present Residence.
Up my street
George Court is near Saffron Court, which in turn is off Saffron Road. It is the site of the old George Hotel.