A jewel in the town
A ROUGH DIAMOND has turned out to be a real gem for a neighbourhood watch scheme. Arthur Howard has been chairman of the Stevenage Neighbourhood Watch Forum for 11 years and his contribution to the community has been invaluable to them. Perhaps most not
A 'ROUGH DIAMOND' has turned out to be a real gem for a neighbourhood watch scheme.
Arthur Howard has been chairman of the Stevenage Neighbourhood Watch Forum for 11 years and his contribution to the community has been invaluable to them.
Perhaps most notable is his setting up of the community crew in partnership with the police, fire service and Stevenage Borough Council.
Community Crew is the county's first Neighbourhood Watch scheme for 11 to 15-year-olds.
Mr Howard said after being presented with the Eastern Area Community Safety Award: "I am extremely humbled by this award, and would also like to thank so many people without which this would not have been possible."
The award recognises Mr Howard's exceptional contribution to community safety.
- 1 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 2 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 3 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 4 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 5 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 10 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
He received a trophy and £1,000 to spend on a community safety project.
Hertfordshire Police Authority member Pauline Adey said: "Arthur may have been described as a rough diamond, but he's certainly a precious gem for Stevenage."
Cllr Bob Clark, executive member for community safety, said: "Congratulations to Arthur for this award.
"He fully deserves all the accolades he receives as he has worked tirelessly for years to make Stevenage a safer place to work, live and visit.