A good call
NEW buses have been provided to help those with disability problems get around. The new Dial-a-Ride buses have been jointly provided by Hertfordshire County Council and Stevenage Borough Council and came into operation in Stevenage earlier this month, re
NEW buses have been provided to help those with disability problems get around.
The new Dial-a-Ride buses have been jointly provided by Hertfordshire County Council and Stevenage Borough Council and came into operation in Stevenage earlier this month, replacing the existing vehicles which had reached the end of their working life.
The vehicles are designed to offer easy access and have tail-lifts that can be used by people in wheelchairs or who cannot climb up and down steps.
County councillor Stuart Pile, executive member for highways, transport and rural affairs, said: "These brand new vehicles will make it even easier and more comfortable for people who may otherwise not be able to travel."
Stevenage Borough Council's executive councillor for environment and e-government Richard Henry said: "We wanted to help provide these vehicles because we understand how important it is for local people with mobility issues to remain independent and travel around the town easily and comfortably."
Nellie Dellow, pictured, from Stevenage, has been using the Dial-a-Ride service for 10 years and has been on more than 2,500 trips with the service.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
She said: "Dial-a-Ride is a wonderful service. The drivers are marvellous, they cannot do enough for you and I can't praise the service highly enough.
"I have a heart condition and over the last 10 years I could not have managed without the service."
# If you have difficulty accessing public transport call 01923 443388.