A founder of Stevenage Boro FC dies
A FOUNDER member of Stevenage Borough Football Club died suddenly at his home last week, at the time the team was playing at Wembley. Ron Berners was 82 when he died. He moved to Stevenage with his family in 1958 and became a supporter of the original Ste
A FOUNDER member of Stevenage Borough Football Club died suddenly at his home last week, at the time the team was playing at Wembley.
Ron Berners was 82 when he died.
He moved to Stevenage with his family in 1958 and became a supporter of the original Stevenage Town club.
With its demise in 1967, Stevenage Athletic was formed.
Stevenage Borough was created in 1976 following the bankruptcy of Stevenage Athletic, after which the Broadhall Way pitch was dug up.
The new club played on a roped-off pitch at the town's King George V playing fields.
- 1 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 2 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 3 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 4 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 7 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 8 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 9 Former councillor recognised for 36 years of service
- 10 Come on feel the noise: Tisdale excited to experience a first Stevenage home game
Mr Berners was among the group of enthusiasts who rallied together to force the various authorities to keep football alive in the town, culminating in its successful return to Broadhall Way in 1980.
He held honorary treasurer and secretarial positions leading up to the club going full-time in 1994.
He continued to support the club until the deteriorating health of his wife, Marg, required his time at home.
As well as Marg, Mr Berners leaves behind his son, Keith, daughter-in-law Jacky, and grandchildren Claire, Kathy and Lara.
His funeral will be held at Harwood Park Crematorium in Stevenage on Thursday at 12.30pm.