A founder of Stevenage Boro FC dies
A FOUNDER member of Stevenage Borough Football Club died suddenly at his home last week, at the time the team was playing at Wembley. Ron Berners was 82 when he died. He moved to Stevenage with his family in 1958 and became a supporter of the original Ste
A FOUNDER member of Stevenage Borough Football Club died suddenly at his home last week, at the time the team was playing at Wembley.
Ron Berners was 82 when he died.
He moved to Stevenage with his family in 1958 and became a supporter of the original Stevenage Town club.
With its demise in 1967, Stevenage Athletic was formed.
You may also want to watch:
Stevenage Borough was created in 1976 following the bankruptcy of Stevenage Athletic, after which the Broadhall Way pitch was dug up.
The new club played on a roped-off pitch at the town's King George V playing fields.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 3 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Mr Berners was among the group of enthusiasts who rallied together to force the various authorities to keep football alive in the town, culminating in its successful return to Broadhall Way in 1980.
He held honorary treasurer and secretarial positions leading up to the club going full-time in 1994.
He continued to support the club until the deteriorating health of his wife, Marg, required his time at home.
As well as Marg, Mr Berners leaves behind his son, Keith, daughter-in-law Jacky, and grandchildren Claire, Kathy and Lara.
His funeral will be held at Harwood Park Crematorium in Stevenage on Thursday at 12.30pm.