A flying visit
SCHOOLCHILDREN had an unusual visitor drop in when a helicopter landed on their playground. The visit was part of a project by pupils from Class 3 at St Ippolyts School who have been involved with the Royal Navy s ice patrol vessel HMS Endurance over the
SCHOOLCHILDREN had an unusual visitor drop in when a helicopter landed on their playground.
The visit was part of a project by pupils from Class 3 at St Ippolyts School who have been involved with the Royal Navy's ice patrol vessel HMS Endurance over the last seven months.
During that time the children have been learning about Antarctica after their teacher's brother, CPO Peter Morewood, set sail for the continent on board the ship.
The children have followed the journey of the ship using a tracking website and could submit questions and see their replies, including photographs and video clips, on the internet.
You may also want to watch:
They even had a chance to visit the ship, go on a guided tour and enjoy lunch in the officers' mess when it was docked in Portsmouth.
If that was not exciting enough, some of the crew paid a return visit to the school in the Lynx helicopter.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
The children were able to sit in the helicopter before CPO Morewood gave an illustrated talk to a packed school hall on the work of the ship in Antarctica.
Pupils and teachers are pictured welcoming the helicopter as it lands on the school playground and (right) with crew members aboard HMS Endurance.