A Codicote-based big cat charity "was a shambles" and its director, who is standing trial accused of 23 animal welfare offences, had a "dislike of modern medicine", a court has heard.

Cat Survival Trust director Terrence Moore denies 12 charges of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal, and 11 charges of using an animal species for commercial gain without a licence.

The 77-year-old, of Codicote Road, Welwyn, appeared at St Albans Crown Court on today (April 23), for the second day of his trial, where the jury were told about the conditions at the site.

Prosecutor Charles Miskin described the sanctuary as a "shambles", and said that Moore had a "dogmatic dislike of modern veterinary medicine".

"It was messy and dirty, food preparation, storage and disposal was not hygienic, the housing of some animals was inadequate or insecure, and a large number of unvaccinated domestic cats were wandering around exposing the trust cats to risk of disease, especially as they themselves weren’t vaccinated," he said.

"Many dead animals were also being kept in freezers on site rather than being properly cremated.

"He neglected his basic duty of care towards some of these animals and caused the ones particularised unnecessary suffering, either though sheer neglect or through a dogmatic dislike of modern veterinary medicine or for financial reasons."

Moore also allegedly made money out of the endangered species, which included snow leopards and jaguars, by offering "unique opportunities to get close to big cats", when he did not have the correct Animal and Plant Agency permit.

The Comet: Snow leopards and jaguars were among the animals at Cat Survival Trust.Snow leopards and jaguars were among the animals at Cat Survival Trust. (Image: Canva)

"Dr Moore was profiting off these animals and cutting corners to do so," said Mr Miskin.

The jury heard that police first visited the sanctuary on July 27, 2022, accompanied by a vet.

They found a number of animals suffering from various conditions, while the daily logs kept by volunteers to record feeding and care showed no appropriate treatment noted or obtained.

When police returned on April 13, 2023, they removed more than 20 animal carcasses from the freezers, including two animals observed the previous year.

A post mortem examination of some of the bodies revealed they had died from various obvious diseases.

"No records of the mortalities were seen so it is simply not known when or why these animals died or that any veterinary treatment was given," said Mr Miskin.

"Knowing how endangered and vulnerable the trust animals were, Dr Moore should have been their guardian, protecting them from disease and suffering, and giving them the highest standards of care."

The trial continues.