A man from Hitchin has been given a 12-month community order after repeatedly punching his partner at their home.

Peter Manning, now 65, had drunk a bottle of wine before pursuing the woman, his then-partner, around their home on June 5, 2020 - during the Covid pandemic.

Manning followed her from their lounge into the kitchen, where he punched her twice.

She fled to a bedroom, but Manning followed her, grabbed her around the throat, and hit her a further seven to ten times before she was able to escape and call the police.

Luton Crown Court heard that during the attack, Manning had said "you don't know what I am capable of", and had threatened to burn and kill his partner.

The couple had lived together for seven years before the attack, which Manning claimed had been made up by his then-partner.

Manning, of Bearton Road in Hitchin, was convicted of common assault and has previous convictions for offences against women and girls.

READ MORE: Oliver Bonas set to replace Hitchin Paperchase store this September

During his sentencing, his defence barrister Oliver Pateman said that the attack was a "single incident over a short period".

He said that Manning had been on bail for over three years, had not breached the conditions or committed further offences and "has no desire to contact her again".

Mr Pateman continued: “He has a number of acute medical needs and very serious health conditions. He has arthritis in his hands and has difficulty using them.”

Manning had previously been a landscape gardener and machine driver, but has not been able to work for the last eight years and has received universal credit.

Recorder Debra Powell KC told Manning to be quiet as she sentenced him.

She said: “These offences show a pattern of offending against women and girls.

“It occurred at night in her home and you were under the influence of alcohol.

“You have shown no remorse and continue to deny the offence.”

Manning has been sentenced to a 12-month community order. He must also attend 10 rehabilitation days and will be subjected to a 4-month electronically tagged curfew between 8pm and 8am.