There are a range of circumstances that can affect how much council tax you pay.

You might get a discount automatically on your council tax bill. Check your bill or contact the council to see if you are eligible. If you're not getting a discount, you might still be entitled to one depending on who lives in the property. This is called Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

For example, if you’re the only adult in your home you can claim a 25% discount on your council tax bill. When working out how many people live in a property not everyone is counted. Children under 18 are not counted and 18 or 19-year-old school leavers may be discounted for a period of time so it is best to check. Similarly, you are disregarded for council tax if you are in full time education.

You may be entitled to a discount because someone has moved out. Tell the council as soon as you can but remember, you’re entitled to that discount from when the person moved out, even if you told the council later.

If you or someone you live with is disabled, the council tax bill for the property might be reduced. There are certain conditions that apply so check out our website or ask the Council directly to see if you are eligible; this can also apply to some live-in carers. Someone will also be disregarded for council tax if they have learning difficulties or a severe mental impairment if their condition is permanent and they are claiming certain benefits.

You may be able to get another discount called a ‘second adult rebate’ if the person you live with is on a low income or getting certain benefits. The rules vary and depend on whether you or the person you live with is of working age or in receipt of a state pension.

Your local council will ask you details about your income and your circumstances, so they can work out if you’re entitled to CTR. They will then work out your new bill and tell you how much council tax you need to pay.