Stevenage fell to a fourth straight defeat as Luke O’Nien fired Wycombe to all three points this afternoon.

The Chairboys midfielder scored with 20 minutes remaining to edge his side closer to the League Two play-off places, while for Boro it was a fourth consecutive game without a goal.

Darren Sarll’s Boro were under pressure right from the off, with Wycombe having five early corners and creating good chances from three of them.

The first was a deep ball in to the edge of the box where O’Nien volleyed straight at Jamie Jones. Anthony Stewart then headed just wide from eight yards before, from another set piece, the ball dropped to Paul Hayes who could only hit the post.

Fraser Franks was then beaten to a ball over the top by Rowan Liburd, and when Garry Thompson was teed up 20 yards out his curled effort brought a fine save out of Jones.

Had Wycombe not been so profligate, Stevenage could have been in deep water with just 11 minutes on the clock.

They survived, but chances in the Wycombe half were few and far between. Aaron Pierre, the imposing centre-half, got the better of lone front man Ben Kennedy, with Tom Pett and Tom Conlon unable to influence proceedings from wide areas.

Conlon did have a shot from distance, but fired over, but Wycombe then had another chance only for Jason McCarthy to fire off target on the stroke of half-time.

Stevenage made a change at the break with Ronnie Henry making way for Luke Wilkinson, and not long after it Pett left the field for Byron Harrison.

The substitute immediately gave the visitors more of a presence in the final third, with the front three of Harrison, Kennedy and Conlon starting to make a game of it.

But when Kennedy made a terrific 30-yard run towards the Stevenage box he failed to pick out Harrison inside him, instead going on alone. His touch into the box was poor, and when he hit the floor without being touched the referee booked him for a dive.

Wycombe dealt Sarll’s men a decisive blow when they took the lead on 70 minutes. It came from a ball into the box that Jerome Okimo was unable to clear properly, and O’Nien was on hand to make space for himself before firing the home side into the lead.

There was a late cameo appearance for Greg Luer, a loan signing from Hull City announced by Stevenage ahead of the game, before there was one final chance for Boro in a bid to draw level.

Dean Parrett cut inside in the box, but when his shot took a deflection Ryan Allsop saved well with one hand to deny Boro a point.

Wycombe Wanderers: Allsop, McCarthy, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman, O’Nien, Bloomfield, Thompson, Hayes, Liburd (Ugwu 77). Subs: Richardson, Jombati, McGinn, Bean, Wood, Sellers.

Stevenage: Jones, Henry (Wilkinson 46), Okimo, Franks, Wells, Cox (Luer 81), Tonge, Parrett, Pett (Harrison 56), Kennedy, Conlon. Subs: Day, Hedges, Marriott, Gorman.

Att: 3,715 (251)