Matt Godden will be the toast of Stevenage tonight after netting an injury time winner to beat derby rivals Luton Town 2-1 at the Lamex Stadium.

Trailing 1-0 at half-time through Cameron McGeehan’s deflected effort, Stevenage levelled through Connor Hunte’s 54th minute header before Godden netted his first for the club to hand them their first league win of the season.

For the game Stevenage boss Darren Sarll made three changes to his side which went down 3-0 at Leyton Orient midweek with Andrew Fox, Ben Kennedy and Tom Conlon dropping to the bench with Jake Hyde, Dean Wells and Connor Hunte coming in.

A quiet opening to the derby saw little of note other than two Stevenage corners which failed to trouble the visitors.

From Luton’s first real foray they opened the scoring on 14 minutes.

Former Norwich City youngster McGeehan tried his luck from 25 yards.

At least one deflection saw the midfielder’s shot wrong-foot keeper Jamie Jones and hit the back of the net.

There was more threat to come from Town when left back Potts, son of ex-West Ham United captain Steve, arrowed an effort just wide of the far post.

Soon after a glimmer of hope came for Boro, but a scramble in front of the visiting fans saw Godden and Jake Hyde unable to get hold of the ball before it was cleared.

Twice before the end of the half Luton should have added to their talley.

Firstly Jordan Cook side-footed wide from the edge of the box and then Danny Hylton got on the end of a fine Jack Marriott pass and with just Jones to beat curled off target.

Less than 10 minutes into the second half Boro equalised.

Having been introduced at half-time for Jobi McAnuff, Tom Pett and Jake Hyde combined well on the right before the ball was crossed to the far post where Wolves loanee Hunte headed home.

Three minutes later Ben Kennedy was brought on for Hyde as Sarll altered his attacking options.

Luton almost re-took the lead on 65 minutes as right-back Stephen O’Donnell got forward and hit the bar with an angled effort.

With a much improved second half showing, Stevenage saw Charlie Lee try the spectacular as his overhead kick from the edge of the box was inches to high.

Luton continued on the frontfoot and looked a threat, they went close several times with McGeehan and Ruddock-Mpanzu denied by Jones.

Hylton though brought the best save from Jones as his 25 yard drive was heading for the keeper’s top left hand corner before being tipped behind.

A concern for Stevenage was a knee injury to Tom Conlon who was carried off leaving his side to end the game with 10 men.

A frantic closing period then saw chances galore before the late winner.

Kennedy’s curled effort hit bar and post and somehow stayed out for the hosts.

In added time Lee’s deep free-kick was headed onto the top of the bar by Fraser Franks.

There was still time for Stevenage to break following a Luton attack as Pett raced clear, drew a defender and fed Godden who coolly curled in to win the three points.

The dramatics were not quite finished as Luton’s Lee fired against the bar soon after, but the final whistle followed to the delight of the home faithful.

Stevenage: Jones, Franks, Wilkinson, McAnuff (Pett 45), Hyde (Kennedy 57), Tonge, Wells, Hunte (Conlon 76), Lee, Godden, Henry (c).

Subs: Day, Fox, Liburd, Gorman.

Luton Town: Walton, O’Donnell, Potts, Cuthbert (c), Gray (Ruddock-Mpanzu 60), McGeehan (McQuoid 90), Hylton, Cook, Marriott (Vassell 67), Rea, Lee.

Subs: King, Smith, Justin, Famewo.