With 2022 just around the corner, many will be looking forward to a bumper May bank holiday in honour of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

In celebration of our monarch, who is the first to pass both a diamond and platinum milestone, the May bank holiday weekend will be moved to Thursday, June 2 with an additional bank holiday on Friday, June 3, which will mean the public will be granted a four-day weekend.

With festivities galore set to take place to mark the remarkable occasion, many will hit the streets - as has been done for the plethora of jubilees that precede this one - to host a good old fashioned street party in tribute to our Queen.

Hertfordshire County Council is encouraging those organising a bash in their street to apply for a road closure permit to ensure celebrations are carried out safely.

Permits for most public roads are free for street parties and charity events where no advertising is required.

The council will inform you if any charges are to be incurred, for example, due to disruption to bus routes.

In general terms, if the celebrations are not disruptive, they're small scale and they're free to attend, they have a high chance of being accepted.

There are slightly different rules if you are hoping to host a party on an A road, as planned advertising of closures will need to be put in place ahead of the event. The fees cover the cost of checking, drafting and advertising a special event order for the closure.

Applications are now open for the extended bank holiday, between June 2 and June 5, and must be received before April 21 to be considered, processed and accepted.

Street parties in commemoration of the Platinum Jubilee will only be permitted to go ahead if it can be demonstrated that it is COVID-secure, and the risk assessments have been signed off by appropriate parties.

For more information on how to apply for a street party permit, and to read a full list of conditions, visit Hertfordshire County Council's website.

How are you planning on celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee? Send us an email or leave a comment on Facebook to let us know.