100th birthday landmark is cue for a celebration camp as cubs mark a milestone
- Credit: Archant
Well, they look pretty sprightly for 100 year olds! Nearly 150 cubs from groups across the Hitchin district marked the centenary of their movement with a weekend camp just up the road.
The youngsters aged between eight and 10½ had a packed weekend of activities, spending both Friday and Saturday night at Boyd activity centre in Henlow, the headquarters of the neighbouring Biggleswade scouts district.
Included on the programme were a zipwire, fire lighting, zorbing, fishing, pioneering, scavenger hunts, go karts, and assault course and a giant spider mountain slide.
On Friday evening there were traditional campfire songs and on Saturday evening there were fairground games to enjoy.
The weekend finished with a closing ceremony where the young people thanked leaders and helpers for volunteering to run the camp.
Denise Wells, the assistant district commissioner for cubs in Hitchin, said: “The weekend was fantastic.
“It was great to see cubs from all across Hitchin making new friends and joining together for a weekend of fun activities.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
“This is just one of the local and national events staged across the UK showcasing the fun, excitement and adventure of this special year.
“In December, cubs will also be coming together to renew our promises in the middle of the town.”
To find out more about Hitchin’s booming scouting scene visit www.hitchinscouts.org or follow the Twitter account @hitchinscouts.