£1,500 lifeline to carer support group
- Credit: Archant
A charity which has had its funding removed has been awarded a £1,500 grant which will help keep it running.
Last month the Comet reported that Angels Support Group, which supports parents and carers of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and/or autistic spectrum disorders (ASD), had £40,000 in funding removed by Hertfordshire County Council.
The group, which is based at The Letchworth Centre for Healthy Living, runs weekly support groups in Hitchin, Stevenage and Letchworth GC and fortnightly in Royston. The charity also runs various activities during holiday times for children and families.
The grant, which was awarded by North Herts District Council’s (NHDC) Hitchin area committee, will be used to contribute towards staffing costs, travel expenses and other overheads associated with running the Hitchin-based support group at Oughton Children’s Centre, until spring 2014.
Cllr Ray Shakespeare-Smith, chairman of NHDC’s Hitchin area committee said: “Angels Support Group provides invaluable support and services which help families throughout North Herts whose lives are affected by behavioural disorders.
You may also want to watch:
“The support group offers a range of advice and resources to help those families manage and understand the condition, which is why we are happy to support such a worthwhile charity.”
Leise Cooper, parent support manager of Angels Support Group, said: “We are very grateful for this grant. We have recently lost our funding for all our support groups and this grant will help us to keep the Hitchin support group running while we secure alternative long term funding for it.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“It’s great for our families to know that they are supported by our local councillors and community.”
For more information about Angel’s services visit www.angelssupportgroup.org.uk