More than 3,000 sign petition to save Hertfordshire buses
PUBLISHED: 18:33 27 March 2015
More than 500 people signed a petition on Friday to stop cuts being made to threatened bus services in Hertfordshire.
Campaigner Terry Figg and the Save Our Buses protest group collected the signatures at Stevenage bus station from bus users and town centre shoppers. Along with an online petition, it will be handed to county councillors on May 19.
Terry said: “It is important that we make our voices heard and to show the strength of feelings that people have.
“The council says that only a small amount of services will change, but that may not be the most important thing to consider. It should be how it will affect people’s social activities and how they are able to get to and from work.”
Herts County Council is making cuts to the service to save about £1.47 million a year from its budget, which is being cut by the government.
New proposals include withdrawing subsidised funding from services running after 7.30pm Monday to Saturday and services which do not go directly to hospitals on Sunday evenings.
So far Terry’s online petition has been signed by more than 2,600 people.
To sign visit www.save-our-buses.org.uk/petition.
More information about the proposals can be found at www.hertsdirect.org/busconsult.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.