Winners and losers in the fame game
TWO people I d really like to engineer a meeting between are the Prince of Wales and that Chantelle lass who won Celebrity Big Brother recently. I m not sure this would necessarily be a meeting of minds, but the reason I d like to introduce them to each o
TWO people I'd really like to engineer a meeting between are the Prince of Wales and that Chantelle lass who won Celebrity Big Brother recently.
I'm not sure this would necessarily be a meeting of minds, but the reason I'd like to introduce them to each other is that I think old Charlie boy might have a bit to say about the fame game.
Chantelle is amongst a growing breed of wannabe celebrities who would go to almost any length (including appearing on the ritual and public humiliation which is Big Brother) in order to secure their 15 minutes.
Prince Charles, on the other hand, was born into arguably the most famous family in the world and appears to intensely dislike being in the public eye.
I'm not really sure who's right and who's wrong in Charles' fight against the Mail On Sunday, but it certainly does seem ironic that he's trying so desperately to protect his privacy when Chantelle, Jodie Marsh, Jordan et al will give it away at the drop of a hat.
The thing is, I really couldn't care less about Jordan's relationship with Peter Andre (which is apparently revealed in lurid detail in her new book) and Chantelle and her flimsy little dresses hold no interest for me.
- 1 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 2 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
But I genuinely find Charles' comments interesting and would really like to know more.
I don't hold with the view that he's been born with a silver spoon in his mouth and therefore is in no place to comment on the "real world".
He might not know what it's like to struggle to pay the mortgage but he's been to some interesting places and met some fascinating and important people, so I imagine he's got a few good tales to tell.
Come to think of it, a royal family Big Brother would be far more interesting than any they've shown so far.
We'd get to see what the usually very dapper Queen wears to slob around in at home and maybe even find out what she keeps in the handbag she's always clutching so mysteriously (she can't actually need anything, surely - she has people to do everything).
And Prince Phillip, he'd be a revelation. He's been so incredibly offensive in public over the years, just imagine what you'd catch him saying behind closed doors.
Alas, the closely-guarded world of the royal family looks set to remain a mystery to us mere mortals, and we'll have to be content with the insights and no doubt blossoming career of a woman who doesn't know what a gynaecologist is.
* Last Friday morning my poor aging car threw a bit of a wobbly on the A1 southbound between Letchworth and Stevenage. The exhaust started to break off and about 9.10am I found myself standing shivering on the hard shoulder waiting for the recovery van to come and get me. I'd just like to say, to the two police officers who drove right past me as I stood, alone next to a busy and dangerous road, don't worry, I'm fine. Thanks for your concern...