When is a green not a green?
SIR – When is a village green not a village green? A letter in last week s paper from a Mrs Louise Keeble of Letchworth refers to this. Mrs Keeble says that the village green application will protect the future of this field for social and leisure activit
SIR - When is a village green not a village green?
A letter in last week's paper from a Mrs Louise Keeble of Letchworth refers to this. Mrs Keeble says that the village green application will protect the future of this field for social and leisure activities for all Baldock residents. Further, Mrs Keeble attempts to draw a parallel between the land in question here and the vastness of Norton Common on the edge of Letchworth.
Through your paper may I place matters in perspective. We are talking here about a small insignificant piece of unkempt land, 3/4 of a hectare, situated to the north west edge of Clothall/Common estate. To have the same designated as amenity land would benefit very few residents of Clothall Common let alone Baldock as a whole. Further, Mrs Keeble should note that Clothall Common is blessed with open greensward amenity land the like of which one would be hard pressed to equal.
On the question of the village green application, to make reference to this land as such is a misnomer in the extreme. It is an attempt to use the relevant legislation for the wrong purpose. Further, Mrs Keeble should realise that as a council tax payer it is her asset that NHDC have to protect in opposing the Village Green application.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, and to repeat that which has been said many times before, this land has been earmarked for development since the inception of Clothall Common estate way back in the seventies and eighties.
Cllr MICHAEL WEEKS
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 3 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation