What's in a name?
SIR - Since moving to Stevenage as a teenager in 1961, I have seen the changes over the years to the Town Centre Gardens. It is good that yet further money has been obtained for regeneration. However, I am concerned about part of Councillor Gardner s comm
SIR - Since moving to Stevenage as a teenager in 1961, I have seen the changes over the years to the Town Centre Gardens. It is good that yet further money has been obtained for regeneration. However, I am concerned about part of Councillor Gardner's comment on how the money will be spent - ''A community engagement officer will also be employed to develop a wide range of events for residents''.
So how much of the award will go towards the salary and budget for yet another council officer?
Your article mentioned The Friends of the Town Centre Gardens and I understand there is a proposal for a Town Gardens management group from residents living locally. Stevenage has many local groups and organisations covering a wide variety of interests who I am sure are capable of setting up a board, together with such a management group, to organise events for Stevenage residents without the council's overall control.
SBC often quotes the Stevenage motto 'The heart of the town lies in its people' so let the people decide what events they want not what would fit the council's agenda.
CAROL R BRASSFIELD
- 1 A-level results 2022: Schools in Stevenage and North Herts share successes
- 2 Man 'assaulted' and hit by chair in Baldock service station
- 3 Calling all gamers! New eSports centre coming to Stevenage
- 4 Leisure centre turns up the heat with new sauna and steam rooms
- 5 Body found in wooded area of Stevenage
- 6 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
- 7 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 8 Four Vauxhall cars stolen in North Herts
- 9 Man allegedly assaulted and robbed woman in Stevenage park
- 10 'My mum was eligible for Covid-19 drugs - so why didn't she get them?'
SIR - Article Comet April 23, lotto cash for garden project.
Can someone tell me what a portfolio holder is or what they do? I keep reading in The Comet portfolio holder for this, portfolio holder for that?
Also a community engagement officer? How much will that cost? Isn't someone already employed by the council capable of doing the job?
Also an article on page 28 described the chairman of the winter maintenance topic group. Now that sounds really exciting.