What is council going to achieve?
I am concerned about the recent correspondence about the Letchworth Garden City Council. Firstly, as a matter of fact, the ballot papers in the poll which was held were only sent to people on the public electoral register. Anyone who had opted out of this
I am concerned about the recent correspondence about the Letchworth Garden City Council.
Firstly, as a matter of fact, the ballot papers in the poll which was held were only sent to people on the public electoral register. Anyone who had opted out of this public register would not have received a ballot, unless they realised and asked for one. It is therefore quite possible your correspondents heard nothing about the poll. This must also cast some doubt on the value of the result, as some of us said at the time.
It appears the shadow council (made up of all the Letchworth councillors on the district council at the time) could do no right. Their job was to make sure the town council had a budget, and was in the position to function. This we did. It was not our job to pre-empt the decisions of the elected town councillors.
But I think this whole correspondence is missing the point. We have a town council courtesy of some civil servants, and it is now very difficult to wind it up. It seems 23 of the 24 councillors were elected to represent one group, on an election address with no clear policies in it. The council has now existed for nearly two years, surely enough time to organise itself.
You may also want to watch:
Can members of the council please tell us what their vision is for the Garden City, and what they are going to do to achieve it?
IAN MANTLE, Wilbury Road, Letchworth Garden City
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 5 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images