Welcome to Hitchin in doom
SIR - I hope you will publish this letter as a means to both drum up support and also help get some action from the relevant authorities and landowners. The beautiful town of Hitchin is at present being massively let down by the shoddy entrance (or exit)
SIR - I hope you will publish this letter as a means to both drum up support and also help get some action from the relevant authorities and landowners.
The beautiful town of Hitchin is at present being massively let down by the shoddy entrance (or exit) to it via Cambridge Road and under the railway bridge.
Specifically I mean the banks on both sides of the road between Cooks Way and the old B&Q. The banks look awful - overgrown and unmanaged, litter-ridden and badly organised and the bridge looks a mess too, graffiti ridden and generally ugly! This area is very important as it is the entry and exit from Hitchin used by thousands of people a day whether walking or by car. Even the Hitchin in Bloom procession a while back was diverted because it was so unsightly.
I have so far tried to campaign through both Railtrack (who own part of the banks) and also NHDC who also own part of the banks and I feel like I am getting nowhere really as no one wants full responsibility of these problems.
Why should we have to put up with this area being so uncared for? Who says a railway bridge needs to look average? There are average bridges all over the country and I would like to make this one standout! Whether by a nice paint finish or some nice design to blend it in with the new landscape - it can be done with a little imagination and finance obviously.
This would make travelling into and out of Hitchin much more pleasant and would boost tourism if made to standout rather then the current situation of travelling though a disorganised untidy dump.
- 1 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 2 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 3 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 4 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 5 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 6 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 8 100 Herts police officers to carry nasal spray to prevent drug deaths
- 9 Chocolates sold at Tesco stores recalled after health risk discovered
- 10 Standalone 10k keeps getting better and better says race boss
Hopefully through this letter we may finally get some action? After all, do we want Hitchin in Bloom or Hitchin in Doom"!?