Welcome to Hitchin in doom
SIR - I hope you will publish this letter as a means to both drum up support and also help get some action from the relevant authorities and landowners. The beautiful town of Hitchin is at present being massively let down by the shoddy entrance (or exit)
SIR - I hope you will publish this letter as a means to both drum up support and also help get some action from the relevant authorities and landowners.
The beautiful town of Hitchin is at present being massively let down by the shoddy entrance (or exit) to it via Cambridge Road and under the railway bridge.
Specifically I mean the banks on both sides of the road between Cooks Way and the old B&Q. The banks look awful - overgrown and unmanaged, litter-ridden and badly organised and the bridge looks a mess too, graffiti ridden and generally ugly! This area is very important as it is the entry and exit from Hitchin used by thousands of people a day whether walking or by car. Even the Hitchin in Bloom procession a while back was diverted because it was so unsightly.
I have so far tried to campaign through both Railtrack (who own part of the banks) and also NHDC who also own part of the banks and I feel like I am getting nowhere really as no one wants full responsibility of these problems.
You may also want to watch:
Why should we have to put up with this area being so uncared for? Who says a railway bridge needs to look average? There are average bridges all over the country and I would like to make this one standout! Whether by a nice paint finish or some nice design to blend it in with the new landscape - it can be done with a little imagination and finance obviously.
This would make travelling into and out of Hitchin much more pleasant and would boost tourism if made to standout rather then the current situation of travelling though a disorganised untidy dump.
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 3 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 4 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 5 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 6 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 7 Stevenage happy with performance and result against 10-man Crystal Palace
- 8 £50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
- 9 Stevenage unveil Amazon's Prime Gaming as new sponsors on new kit
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
Hopefully through this letter we may finally get some action? After all, do we want Hitchin in Bloom or Hitchin in Doom"!?