Water gesture after accident
I was one of the lucky ones not to be involved in the horrific accident on the A1 yesterday, but I was one of the ones sitting half a mile away in the blazing afternoon sun. An hour had passed and the southbound carriage way was also closed, and eerily qu
I was one of the lucky ones not to be involved in the horrific accident on the A1 yesterday, but I was one of the ones sitting half a mile away in the blazing afternoon sun.
An hour had passed and the southbound carriage way was also closed, and eerily quiet as the emergency services carried out recovery work. A lot of people were moving among the cars looking for news and someone to chat to and escape the heat of their vehicles.
Less than a month previously I received a pacemaker and I was beginning to feel a little anxious and overwhelmed by the heat. I sat back in my car and there was a knock at the window. A young 20ish year old chap was grinning, waving a cold bottle of water! I gratefully received it and he was gone as quickly as he had arrived, passing between the cars giving out bottles to everyone. I looked over to the hard shoulder and there was a Sainsbury's van with the back doors open with three staff handing out free water (it was also cold!) The spirit of human kindness! Though one traveller commented on it being good PR, I pointed out that we were thirsty, it was hot and we had water! It made the next two hours bearable and once home I phoned Sainsbury's at Coreys Mill (closest to the accident) to thank the manager. He seemed quite taken aback that I had phoned and I know they have helped out in a similar way before without thanks.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 5 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire