Waste of a makeover
Many roads around Hitchin are in need of urgent repair but as I live adjacent to Stotfold Road, which is at this moment being worked on, I find it difficult to understand why this road is being given such a makeover. Some of the road has been patched up b
Many roads around Hitchin are in need of urgent repair but as I live adjacent to Stotfold Road, which is at this moment being worked on, I find it difficult to understand why this road is being given such a makeover. Some of the road has been patched up but not all; an elaborate white lining system has been laid down albeit over some very suspect existing road surfaces, particularly under the rail bridge.
The bus stops have had some changes to their layout but unfortunately there is no lay-by arrangements and one stop is right on the brow of the hill; a most unsatisfactory position for any bus stop.
Even though there are still quite a number of road repairs that ought to be undertaken along this stretch of road the current work seems to be concentrated on what could be described as a cosmetic improvement to the pedestrian walkways and cannot in any way be considered essential at this time.
Perhaps cosmetic is not the best way to describe this work because there could be a dangerous aspect on two counts.
One, I have visions of the school children who currently use the cycle way as a race track not slowing down at the junction because of the now seamless surface that has been provided.
Two, there is a further hazard which will cause the unwary a problem and that is, new drain covers in the road right in front of the new path exits, ladies watch out for your heels. The mind boggles.
- 1 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 2 Stevenage PE teacher's charity run after leg amputation
- 3 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 4 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 5 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 6 Summer Sand pit opens in Stevenage
- 7 Man treated for broken jaw following Hitchin assault
- 8 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
NAME AND ADDRESS WITHHELD