Jackmans Library Closure. As many people will know the library at Ivel Court is being considered for closure by Herts County Council. At their meeting on March 8 the Letchworth Area Committee of North Herts District council voted to request that the Count
Jackmans Library Closure. As many people will know the library at Ivel Court is being considered for closure by Herts County Council. At their meeting on March 8 the Letchworth Area Committee of North Herts District council voted to request that the County Council defer any decision until the Ivel Court redevelopment plans are agreed.
Whilst it is difficult to argue against the financial aspects - it apparently costs £7.17 for every book issued - it has to be remembered that a library is a community facility and the majority of the users are elderly or young children who find it difficult to get to the main library in the town.
If the County Council does eventually decide to close Jackmans Library we must ensure that alternatives are put in place to ensure that essential community facilities are not lost. The redevelopment of the Community Centre gives us a superb opportunity to do this and look at alternatives to the traditional library that are accessible to everyone.
To achieve this however it is essential that local people put their ideas forward and make their views known. A series of consultations with all interested parties is being planned so when these take place please take the time and trouble to respond.
You may also want to watch:
DAVID LEVETT, Letchworth South East Conservatives, Letchworth Garden City
- 1 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 2 Body found in search for missing woman
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 6 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 7 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
- 8 Professional artist born out of school lockdown project
- 9 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 10 Missing Stevenage teen found