Undermining what’s best for town
Once again David Levett is going into print with letters containing half truths. The registering of a group under the heading Town Council Campaigners was to ensure that the electorate would distinguish the original campaigners on the ballot papers from
Once again David Levett is going into print with letters containing half truths.
The registering of a group under the heading Town Council Campaigners was to ensure that the electorate would distinguish the original campaigners on the ballot papers from all the others who were seeking to hijack the town council at the last minute. This met with the request of many electors who wanted to know how they could identify us. Our collective manifesto stressed that we were totally independent of all political parties and could therefore act for the electorate without interference from outside authority.
Mr Levett may remember the NHDC referendum, asking at a cost of £19,000 'do we want a town council?'
He may not have been, as I was, at the district council meeting when the result was made known in our favour and a district councillor was heard to say 'if we cannot stop this town council then we have to get elected on to it'.
You may also want to watch:
The reason that David Levett is not on my Christmas card list is that he seems obsessed to join the above faction. He is trying to undermine the Garden City Centre at every opportunity. Personal attacks I can accept but attacking the best thing that has happened to Letchworth in a long time will not be tolerated.
Regarding the non mentioning of the Jackmans Library in my letter, I totally agree that this facility is a vital part of community services and should be retained, regardless of cost, £19,000 would have bought a lot of books. However, the reason for not mentioning it was because I felt that it would be sour grapes to really put the boot in by pointing out the party he is now allied to is in power at County Hall and its members are the very people debating the closure of the library.
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 4 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 5 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 9 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 10 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
Now here is a thought - why doesn't Mr Levett approach the Garden City Council for their help with the library. Whilst I can only speak personally, I am sure that any request will be treated with respect and almost certainly the feelings of the electorate will be taken on board.
Cllr DEREK HODGSON, Norton Road, Letchworth GC