Town hall politics
I could not agree more with your comments on Baldock Town Hall. It was only a few years ago when hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money was spent replacing the roof, only for it to be done on the cheap, therefore leaking and forcing the ceili
I could not agree more with your comments on Baldock Town Hall.
It was only a few years ago when hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money was spent replacing the roof, only for it to be done on the cheap, therefore leaking and forcing the ceiling to cave in. Who has been held accountable - no-one it seems!
If that was one of the council officers' own houses there would be hell to pay no doubt, but no, the council seems to have put it on the 'let's ignore this and just move on to the next thing' drawer.
Not only that, the council seems set on requesting tenders for people to take over the hall. Instead of just fixing it so the clubs that used to use it can get in there again, or even those that have an idea that the hall would be perfect to support. They have passed it to Pontius Pilate's office for a formal washing of hands.
It appears the council would like it to be flats, or maybe a pub, or perhaps anything to get it off their to-do list.
They spent a fortune doing up the old solicitors' building half way up the High Street so they could put their offices in there. How much did that cost? What benefit is there to the town there?
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 4 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 5 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 6 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
- 7 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 8 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 9 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
They are a disgrace.
ROB SCAHILL, Baldock resident