Toilet cash down the pan
I am horrified by the mess the district council has made of renovating the toilets in the Arcade, Hitchin. The disabled need level access and modern facilities. The former women s toilets had four cubicles, the large one having nappy changing facilities.
I am horrified by the mess the district council has made of renovating the toilets in the Arcade, Hitchin. The disabled need level access and modern facilities.
The former women's toilets had four cubicles, the large one having nappy changing facilities. As normal, they opened onto a general area with washbasins, ample room for waiting etc and an entrance designed to give privacy.
Now women have only access to three unisex cubicles opening directly onto the public footpath where we must wait in all weathers. There is also one cubicle for the disabled and two for men only but none for women. This is disgraceful discrimination against women.
The heavy spring loaded doors are difficult to open, especially for children, the elderly, somebody with a pram or heavy shopping. They are deceptively difficult to lock and have no vacant/engaged sign outside. Why?
You may also want to watch:
The toilets are now closed in Portmill Lane and also in Bancroft Recreation Ground which had level access. Those in the market have the same ghastly doors.
I welcome improved facilities for the disabled but the council has spent well over £200,000 to produce a generally, vastly reduced service and has discriminated against women.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
MARY G GOLDSMITH, Address supplied