Time for new look at oldest profession
NEW laws making it an offence for a man to buy sex from a prostitute if she is controlled for the gain of another person will not work. Instead of protecting those trafficked into the sex trade, which is the aim, they will only serve to put vulnerable w
NEW laws making it an offence for a man to buy sex from a prostitute if she is 'controlled for the gain' of another person will not work.
Instead of protecting those trafficked into the sex trade, which is the aim, they will only serve to put vulnerable women in more danger.
Under the Home Secretary's plans, men who use prostitutes face a criminal record and a fine of �1,000 unless they can prove the woman is working of her own free will. Claiming ignorance of the woman's circumstances will not act as a defence.
The new legislation will keep customers away from brothels, forcing some to close and the women to work on their own on the streets.
You may also want to watch:
Prostitution will be driven deeper underground and women's lives put at more risk.
Instead of clamping down on prostitution, the Government should be looking at giving sex workers the same rights and protection as other workers.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 3 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 4 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers
- 8 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 9 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 10 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
While the act of prostitution is not in itself illegal in the UK, activities surrounding it are criminalised under the Sexual Offences Act. For instance, it is an offence to cause or incite prostitution.
Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world and an inevitable part of human life. It's about time the Government accepted this.