Three lanes are no good
SIR - What barmy ideas I have just read from Jean H Watson in her All done by Mirrors (July 31) rant. What good would three lanes off the A1 Letchworth Garden City be? The junction would still have to be negotiated, with the same problems as today. Then
SIR - What barmy ideas I have just read from Jean H Watson in her 'All done by Mirrors' (July 31) rant.
What good would three lanes off the A1 Letchworth Garden City be? The junction would still have to be negotiated, with the same problems as today. Then there is her suggestion to install traffic lights at the junction, surely this would bring back the tailbacks which persisted before the alterations, and block the motorway again.
Also she suggests that the current traffic lights are on red at the same time for a 'couple of minutes', I am sure traffic heading for Baldock, turning right at the junction would be overjoyed to wait for the Letchworth vehicles, turning left.
Obviously she misses the point of the problem, with the title of her piece, it is the fact that you cannot use your mirrors until you are right at the junction and have to break a neck observing the vehicles to the right, before pulling away.
I do not know the answer, but so far the best bet seems to be the proposed dual-carriageway. As for not being able to pull out from Penn Way etc, the same amount of traffic will still be coming into town, so careful driving would still be essential.
- 1 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 2 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 3 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 4 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 5 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 6 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 8 Standalone 10k keeps getting better and better says race boss
- 9 Education provider for children who struggle in school celebrates milestone
- 10 Over 55s invited to 'Ageing Together' event to improve housing needs
Letchworth Garden City