Three lanes are no good
SIR - What barmy ideas I have just read from Jean H Watson in her All done by Mirrors (July 31) rant. What good would three lanes off the A1 Letchworth Garden City be? The junction would still have to be negotiated, with the same problems as today. Then
SIR - What barmy ideas I have just read from Jean H Watson in her 'All done by Mirrors' (July 31) rant.
What good would three lanes off the A1 Letchworth Garden City be? The junction would still have to be negotiated, with the same problems as today. Then there is her suggestion to install traffic lights at the junction, surely this would bring back the tailbacks which persisted before the alterations, and block the motorway again.
Also she suggests that the current traffic lights are on red at the same time for a 'couple of minutes', I am sure traffic heading for Baldock, turning right at the junction would be overjoyed to wait for the Letchworth vehicles, turning left.
Obviously she misses the point of the problem, with the title of her piece, it is the fact that you cannot use your mirrors until you are right at the junction and have to break a neck observing the vehicles to the right, before pulling away.
You may also want to watch:
I do not know the answer, but so far the best bet seems to be the proposed dual-carriageway. As for not being able to pull out from Penn Way etc, the same amount of traffic will still be coming into town, so careful driving would still be essential.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 6 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 8 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Parents' tribute to caring community as they continue push for new specialist facilities
Letchworth Garden City