The parking debate
In response to Councillor Sangha s letter (Residents are backing scheme, Comet February 16), I would like to add my thoughts on the situation. Councillor Sangha seems to be under the illusion that residents of the Triangle area have been asked if they wan
In response to Councillor Sangha's letter (Residents are backing scheme, Comet February 16), I would like to add my thoughts on the situation.
Councillor Sangha seems to be under the illusion that residents of the Triangle area have been asked if they want a resident's parking scheme; they have not.
In 2002 the Residents Association undertook a community survey, a part of which asked residents if they thought that a parking scheme might be something worth considering for the area. This survey did not canvas all households, and of those who received it, only about a third replied. Also, Radcliffe Road was omitted from the parking results due to their extremely low response.
Discussion continued within the Residents Association and ideas for a parking scheme have been displayed at meetings and at its fun day events.
The parking scheme has been discussed by those who attend its meetings (about 30 people) and commented upon only by those who attend its events.
In contrast, Herts Highways held a proper six day public exhibition and consultation for everyone on their road improvement scheme for the area.
- 1 Large amount of 'mindless damage' dealt to Hitchin estate
- 2 Households in Stevenage left without water for several hours
- 3 Nissan Qashqai damaged during Letchworth 'vandalism'
- 4 Man charged following North Herts armed robbery
- 5 Leaked report suggests Sharon Taylor is to be appointed to House of Lords
- 6 Pupil wins competition to name community space at former bus station
- 7 Primary schools' cross-country returns in style to Stevenage
- 8 MP opens £10m college Sports Hub
- 9 Stevenage doctor 'filled with pride' after taking home national award
- 10 Teenager's mountain bike stolen outside Hitchin McDonalds
The council has most certainly not asked residents of the Triangle area if they want the proposed scheme. When a parking scheme was previously proposed in the 1990s, the council sent out a questionnaire to every resident asking if they wanted the scheme or not. Why can they not do the same this time round?
REBECCA TOMLIN, Radcliffe Road, Hitchin
The Triangle parking scheme is an abomination concocted by a minority of residents primarily living on Dacre Road.
In Alexandra Road and those further from the station we have never had a problem with commuters as they are put off by the local garages. Having lived in the area for over 20 years and having already put down this stupid permit tax on having visitors in the 90s, I would like to know who was actually consulted apart from the cat hair jumper wearing Billy no mates hippies that run the clique known as the Triangle Residents Association,
EMILY FOX, Alexandra Road, Hitchin
* No parking restrictions are needed. We do not have a problem with commuters parking.
JEROME GREEN, Alexandra Road, Hitchin