The impact of the bypass
SIR – I write in response to John Aitkin s letter in your August 3 edition. Mr Aitkin is misunderstanding my comments about the impact of the recently opened bypass on Baldock, and in particular, on local business. I commented only once, not repeatedly,
SIR - I write in response to John Aitkin's letter in your August 3 edition.
Mr Aitkin is misunderstanding my comments about the impact of the recently opened bypass on Baldock, and in particular, on local business.
I commented only once, not repeatedly, that only a small proportion of the traffic using the town centre pre-bypass stopped to use the local shops. This is evidenced by the surveys undertaken by the county council pre-bypass showing that only a small part of the traffic passing through the town actually was made up of people legitimately stopping to use the town's facilities and businesses.
I very much regret that Mr Aitkin has had to close his sweet shop, as I along with all residents want to see businesses flourish in the town. Mr. Aitkin infers by the tone of his letter that I am making throwaway comments about the future of the town's businesses. This is far from the case.
The outcome of a major change on a town, such as the bypass, will always have differing impacts. But we now need to concentrate on making the town a more vibrant place to frequent and to have a business. The council has adopted a Town Centre Strategy, has committed substantial sums to the town, has recently supported the development of a Town Centre Partnership made up of local groups and businesses, and is working with other bodies to help to achieve this.
The town certainly has the support the other councillors and myself to work with the residents, businesses and the council to make the positive impact that we are all working towards.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 4 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 5 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 6 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 7 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 8 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 9 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
Councillor IAN KNIGHTON