The councillor conundrum
In last week s report Final Push in Battle to Halt Airport Plan you described Bernard Lovewell as a Walsworth Councillor. That is incorrect, he is (I understand) the prospective Conservative candidate for that ward. At the next election the voters of Wals
In last week's report Final Push in Battle to Halt Airport Plan you described Bernard Lovewell as a Walsworth Councillor. That is incorrect, he is (I understand) the prospective Conservative candidate for that ward. At the next election the voters of Walsworth will also have the option of a Green Party candidate, who will be at least as committed to fighting Luton Airport expansion.
Whilst we welcome the Conservative Party's involvement in this issue and will work with them to stop airport expansion at a time when there is no global strategy to tackle climate change, much more is required. If the two major parties are serious about finding a solution, we would press them to go further and adopt the principles of Contraction and Convergence as outlined by the Global Commons Institute.
These principles provide a strategic framework for emissions reduction as well as balancing the use of carbon-based fuel equitably between the world's peoples. Any solution needs to be fair, not just for altruistic reasons, but in order to be generally acceptable and therefore workable.
SARAH POND, North Herts & Stevenage, Green Party, Redoubt Close,
You may also want to watch:
* In last week's edition of The Comet you pictured me in a group of people obtaining signatures on a petition protesting against the plans to increase the size of Luton Airport. You described me as a Walsworth councillor. I hope you did this with the benefit of your crystal ball as I am not a Walsworth councillor but hope to become one at the elections in May.
- 1 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 2 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
I do not want anyone to think I am taking anything for granted nor do I want to appear discourteous to the current councillors who represent Walsworth. I hope, therefore, that you will print this letter to set the matter straight. Please, however, keep that crystal ball in good working order!
EDITOR'S NOTE: Apologies for the error in our caption. We are of course happy for the electors of Walsworth to have the final say later in the year!