- Credit: Archant
I am a survivor of domestic violence which lasted 24 years in all and covered three different relationships.
My first relationship was when I was only 18. By the time I was 24, I had two children aged six and four.
My ex-partner came down from Scotland and attacked my children by cutting their necks with a knife. I had a court order and police alarm in my flat, however the police removed the alarm at 8am and this happened at 8pm the same day.
My two children nearly died at the scene with serious neck wounds, and my ex partner took his own life..
You may also want to watch:
This was 19 years ago and still haunts me every day. I have had two long term relationships since then, both very violent. I moved to Stevenage in September this year to flee yet again for the safety of my children. What happened to me and my children left me a wreck, vulnerable and changed me as a person.
I fled to Stevenage in the hope of keeping my family safe, however once again the right to parental responsibility means he has already located my children’s school.
- 1 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 2 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 3 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 5 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 6 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 7 'People power triumphs' as council agrees to change bulky waste collection fees
- 8 Save the date! Popular Eat Alfresco dining experience will return
- 9 Man arrested in connection with petrol station robbery
- 10 Increase in town centre parking charges 'is no help to beleaguered shops clinging on'
Since I have moved to Stevenage I have had excellent support from Tania Stokes, the domestic abuse worker from Stevenage Borough Council. I joined the Stevenage Forum group and, for the first time in all these years, I feel validated and feel like I am being heard. After care, support and protection are a must and I hope that we can help give that.