Support for woodland
SIR – Chells Manor residents who have organised and signed the petition to save the woodland near Hunters Close from possible development (Comet front page February 12 and letters February 19) are indeed to be congratulated in taking such speedy action. T
SIR - Chells Manor residents who have organised and signed the petition to save the woodland near Hunters Close from possible development (Comet front page February 12 and letters February 19) are indeed to be congratulated in taking such speedy action. There are two points I wish to make clear.
First, the decision as to whether or not to extend the current temporary tree preservation order is to be taken by Stevenage Borough Council officials, under the delegated authority arrangements, and councillors will not get to vote on the issue.
Secondly, I want to stress that the residents opposing development at this location have the full support of all the three local councillors for the area, Lis Knight, Graham Snell and myself. We have given advice to the petitioners and have expressed our view, in favour of retaining the trees, clearly to the council officials. The decision could now be taken by the officials any time within the next six months. It is therefore not yet too late to write in to object, but the sooner the better. Write to Head of Planning and Regeneration, SBC, Danestrete, Stevenage, SG1 1HN.
Leader Liberal Democrat Group
Stevenage Borough Council, and
- 1 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 2 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 3 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 6 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 7 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 10 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
Chells County Councillor