Support for woodland
SIR – Chells Manor residents who have organised and signed the petition to save the woodland near Hunters Close from possible development (Comet front page February 12 and letters February 19) are indeed to be congratulated in taking such speedy action. T
SIR - Chells Manor residents who have organised and signed the petition to save the woodland near Hunters Close from possible development (Comet front page February 12 and letters February 19) are indeed to be congratulated in taking such speedy action. There are two points I wish to make clear.
First, the decision as to whether or not to extend the current temporary tree preservation order is to be taken by Stevenage Borough Council officials, under the delegated authority arrangements, and councillors will not get to vote on the issue.
Secondly, I want to stress that the residents opposing development at this location have the full support of all the three local councillors for the area, Lis Knight, Graham Snell and myself. We have given advice to the petitioners and have expressed our view, in favour of retaining the trees, clearly to the council officials. The decision could now be taken by the officials any time within the next six months. It is therefore not yet too late to write in to object, but the sooner the better. Write to Head of Planning and Regeneration, SBC, Danestrete, Stevenage, SG1 1HN.
Leader Liberal Democrat Group
Stevenage Borough Council, and
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 3 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 6 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
Chells County Councillor