Support for woodland
SIR – Chells Manor residents who have organised and signed the petition to save the woodland near Hunters Close from possible development (Comet front page February 12 and letters February 19) are indeed to be congratulated in taking such speedy action. T
SIR - Chells Manor residents who have organised and signed the petition to save the woodland near Hunters Close from possible development (Comet front page February 12 and letters February 19) are indeed to be congratulated in taking such speedy action. There are two points I wish to make clear.
First, the decision as to whether or not to extend the current temporary tree preservation order is to be taken by Stevenage Borough Council officials, under the delegated authority arrangements, and councillors will not get to vote on the issue.
Secondly, I want to stress that the residents opposing development at this location have the full support of all the three local councillors for the area, Lis Knight, Graham Snell and myself. We have given advice to the petitioners and have expressed our view, in favour of retaining the trees, clearly to the council officials. The decision could now be taken by the officials any time within the next six months. It is therefore not yet too late to write in to object, but the sooner the better. Write to Head of Planning and Regeneration, SBC, Danestrete, Stevenage, SG1 1HN.
You may also want to watch:
Leader Liberal Democrat Group
Stevenage Borough Council, and
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Chells County Councillor