Study into the Arcade
SIR – Under the auspices of Hitchin Historical Society, an interested group has been formed to undertake research into the history of Hitchin Arcade. It has become clear that this is an interesting and historic group of buildings which has been important
SIR - Under the auspices of Hitchin Historical Society, an interested group has been formed to undertake research into the history of Hitchin Arcade. It has become clear that this is an interesting and historic group of buildings which has been important to this town for several centuries.
Once the Swan coaching inn, the site was taken over in the late nineteenth century by Gatward Furnishers. In 1927 the arcade as we know it was formed, and has remained much the same (though with different shops) ever since.
At one time it was thought that the buildings comprising the Swan were destroyed by fire in 1853, but investigations show that this was not the case, and, hidden behind the facade facing the Market Place, parts of the older buildings remain.
The society intends to publish the results of all this work towards the end of 2007, in time for Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
The society would like to appeal to readers for information and memories about the arcade. Please ring 01462 459380 or email www.hitchin historicals.org.uk
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
Hitchin Historical Society