Study into the Arcade
SIR – Under the auspices of Hitchin Historical Society, an interested group has been formed to undertake research into the history of Hitchin Arcade. It has become clear that this is an interesting and historic group of buildings which has been important
SIR - Under the auspices of Hitchin Historical Society, an interested group has been formed to undertake research into the history of Hitchin Arcade. It has become clear that this is an interesting and historic group of buildings which has been important to this town for several centuries.
Once the Swan coaching inn, the site was taken over in the late nineteenth century by Gatward Furnishers. In 1927 the arcade as we know it was formed, and has remained much the same (though with different shops) ever since.
At one time it was thought that the buildings comprising the Swan were destroyed by fire in 1853, but investigations show that this was not the case, and, hidden behind the facade facing the Market Place, parts of the older buildings remain.
The society intends to publish the results of all this work towards the end of 2007, in time for Christmas.
The society would like to appeal to readers for information and memories about the arcade. Please ring 01462 459380 or email www.hitchin historicals.org.uk
- 1 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 2 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 3 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 4 Schoolgirl inappropriately touched while walking home
- 5 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 6 10-year-old Ayana makes 'phenomenal' stage debut in The Lion King
- 7 Hitchin Forum: Westward Ho! Stevenage first, North Herts next!
- 8 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 9 MP insists no one in Mid Beds is angry with the PM over partygate
- 10 Vista Tower resident welcomes cladding funds but 'still more to be done'
Hitchin Historical Society