Study into the Arcade
SIR – Under the auspices of Hitchin Historical Society, an interested group has been formed to undertake research into the history of Hitchin Arcade. It has become clear that this is an interesting and historic group of buildings which has been important
SIR - Under the auspices of Hitchin Historical Society, an interested group has been formed to undertake research into the history of Hitchin Arcade. It has become clear that this is an interesting and historic group of buildings which has been important to this town for several centuries.
Once the Swan coaching inn, the site was taken over in the late nineteenth century by Gatward Furnishers. In 1927 the arcade as we know it was formed, and has remained much the same (though with different shops) ever since.
At one time it was thought that the buildings comprising the Swan were destroyed by fire in 1853, but investigations show that this was not the case, and, hidden behind the facade facing the Market Place, parts of the older buildings remain.
The society intends to publish the results of all this work towards the end of 2007, in time for Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
The society would like to appeal to readers for information and memories about the arcade. Please ring 01462 459380 or email www.hitchin historicals.org.uk
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 9 No positives for Revell as Boro meekly surrender to Forest Green Rovers
- 10 Arrest made after man in his 40s dies in A505 crash tragedy
Hitchin Historical Society