Students get ahead in the arts
- Credit: Archant
STUDENTS who took part in the National Art & Design Saturday Club at North Hertfordshire College have put their work on display in The Gallery at the Centre for the Arts in Hitchin.
The exhibition which opened with a private view evening on Thursday 12th September will be on show until Friday 20th September.
The National Art & Design Saturday Club, founded by The Sorrel Foundation, gives students aged between 14 – 16 a taster of different art and design disciplines including painting and drawing, animation, pottery and sculpture, textiles and graphic design. Students at the Saturday Club benefit from 30 weeks of inspiring classes from tutors at the Centre for the Arts as well as visiting London’s best museums and galleries, and receiving a masterclass from one of the UK’s foremost artists or designers. The Saturday Club culminates in an exhibition alongside 24 other colleges at Somerset House in London.
Kate Bashford, Head of Curriculum for Creative Arts said; “This is the first year we have run the National Art & Design Saturday Club, and the results have been fantastic. The students had great fun and produced a marvellous quantity of work.”
The students bought their family and friends along to the Private View of the exhibition to show off they have produced. Florence Parker and Sarah Dean commented on how they particularly enjoyed the masterclass given by one of Tesco’s chief designers, Mark Bond.
You may also want to watch:
Lara Old said that the Saturday Club has improve her confidence and helped her to achieve an A* grade in her art at school. Gina Morris said she enjoyed the wide range of classes, especially the ceramics because she hadn’t done that before.
Mrs Marvell, whose two daughters attended the club said: “My daughters enjoyed it so much that they wanted to come back again, both having a keen interest in fashion and fashion drawing.”
The National Art & Design Saturday Club launches again this year on 5th October. For more information or to register for a place please visit www.nhc.ac.uk/saturdayclub.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Do you recognise these people?
- 9 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans