Students are suffering
SIR - This is a response to Mr Westergreen-Thorne s response to my letter to this paper dated April 24. Am I correct in thinking that as there were no denials, parents are being drip fed information rather than being given the complete picture? On my many
SIR - This is a response to Mr Westergreen-Thorne's response to my letter to this paper dated April 24.
Am I correct in thinking that as there were no denials, parents are being drip fed information rather than being given the complete picture?
On my many visits to Barnwell School, yes, I have visited both campuses for many reasons including the so called consultation meetings. It was said that Collenswood would remain open for a short period and a suggestion was put that instead of using the name East campus perhaps Collenswood campus would be more appropriate. At none of the meetings was it ever made clear that both campuses would remain open indefinitely. This is why I was trying to empathise with the parent of the Barnwell student who now has to travel farther to attend a school that was supposedly closing, the Collenswood campus.
My daughter who attended Collenswood during the supposed closure did exceptionally well with her GCSE results. However this was due to every Collenswood teacher who taught her and her own determination not to let any outside influence affect her education, not the transfer to the Barnwell management as Mr Westergreen-Thorne likes to imagine. It will never be known whether her education suffered as a result of this supposed closure and indeed how many other students suffered unfairly because of this reduction in parental choice.
You may also want to watch:
Parents of any child in the south of Stevenage need to be aware that the sibling rule no longer exists so the only choice for them is Barnwell and its other campuses.
- 1 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 2 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 3 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 8 Letchworth hub will get to the 'heart of community'
- 9 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 10 Sacrifices made as Stevenage defiantly answer their critics at Harrogate Town