Solution to all town’s problems
SIR – Regarding Rectory Lane. Here s our idea: 1) Just let the road deteriorate so that car drivers will not want to drive down there. It will soon be full of potholes and puddles and become the unmaintained private road that residents seem to want. (Actu
SIR - Regarding Rectory Lane. Here's our idea:
1) Just let the road deteriorate so that car drivers will not want to drive down there. It will soon be full of potholes and puddles and become the unmaintained private road that residents seem to want. (Actually, this would be a good traffic calming strategy for other roads too and would save council tax money on road humps and chicanes);
2) Residents of Rectory Lane to live in other parts of Stevenage. They are intelligent and articulate and know how to argue and so darned good at making themselves a special case. These talents are far too valuable to be confined to Old Town issues like stopping firefighters practising saving lives, opposing the building of homes for people who need them, objecting to the care of mentally ill people, and preserving old houses that no-one's heard of or will have the opportunity to visit. We need their voices on the bigger questions like wheelie bins or black bags.
3) They might also suggest solutions to global warming, a just economic system and preventing war.
4) Oh, and since they seem to have squatters' rights on the correspondence pages of The Comet, perhaps they could even edit our local newspaper!
STEPHEN and GEORGINE WHITING
- 1 Stevenage doctor 'filled with pride' after taking home national award
- 2 Pupil wins competition to name community space at former bus station
- 3 Stevenage's Forster Country: 'Secret plans' for car park and toilet block
- 4 Residents report 30 ambulances queuing at Lister A&E
- 5 Patrols to be increased following alleged arson in Letchworth park
- 6 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 7 Four vehicles crash on A602 near Stevenage
- 8 Norris at the double as Boro cruise to another home win
- 9 Delight from the boss for two-goal Stevenage hero Luke Norris
- 10 Nissan Qashqai damaged during Letchworth 'vandalism'
Cuttys Lane (which should be closed to the public)