Solution to all town’s problems
SIR – Regarding Rectory Lane. Here s our idea: 1) Just let the road deteriorate so that car drivers will not want to drive down there. It will soon be full of potholes and puddles and become the unmaintained private road that residents seem to want. (Actu
SIR - Regarding Rectory Lane. Here's our idea:
1) Just let the road deteriorate so that car drivers will not want to drive down there. It will soon be full of potholes and puddles and become the unmaintained private road that residents seem to want. (Actually, this would be a good traffic calming strategy for other roads too and would save council tax money on road humps and chicanes);
2) Residents of Rectory Lane to live in other parts of Stevenage. They are intelligent and articulate and know how to argue and so darned good at making themselves a special case. These talents are far too valuable to be confined to Old Town issues like stopping firefighters practising saving lives, opposing the building of homes for people who need them, objecting to the care of mentally ill people, and preserving old houses that no-one's heard of or will have the opportunity to visit. We need their voices on the bigger questions like wheelie bins or black bags.
3) They might also suggest solutions to global warming, a just economic system and preventing war.
You may also want to watch:
4) Oh, and since they seem to have squatters' rights on the correspondence pages of The Comet, perhaps they could even edit our local newspaper!
STEPHEN and GEORGINE WHITING
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 No positives for Revell as Boro meekly surrender to Forest Green Rovers
- 10 Arrest made after man in his 40s dies in A505 crash tragedy
Cuttys Lane (which should be closed to the public)