Snow and ice causes chaos on roads in Stevenage and Hitchin
Snow and ice brought chaos on the roads around Stevenage and Hitchin this morning (Wednesday). In some areas over an inch of snow fell bringing problems in the rush hour with the snow falling on top of already frozen slush. Police reported many roads in S
Snow and ice brought chaos on the roads around Stevenage and Hitchin this morning (Wednesday).
In some areas over an inch of snow fell bringing problems in the rush hour with the snow falling on top of already frozen slush.
Police reported many roads in Stevenage were completely gridlocked with slow moving traffic crawling on the snow covered roads. The main problem areas were Fairlands Way between the A1155 Verity Way
It was a similar story in Hitchin where the B656 was badly affected by the hazardous conditions in London Road, Parkway and Heath Lane.
You may also want to watch:
In some areas of the A1 (M) traffic was almost at a standstill southbound between junction 10 at Stotfold and junctions 9 and 8 at Letchworth Gate and Stevenage Coreys Mill. Further south, traffic was also slow moving beyond junction 7 at Stevenage and further south at the Hatfield Tunnel in the roadworks area.
Police reported one accident in Stevenage with a van ploughing into a brick wall in Wisden Road at the junction with Grace Way. The driver was uninjured.
- 1 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 2 Body found in search for missing woman
- 3 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 6 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
- 7 COVID-19 cases continue to plummet in Stevenage and North Herts
- 8 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 9 I love it when a plan comes together: Alex Revell happy with Stevenage's resurgence
- 10 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs