Snow and ice causes chaos on roads in Stevenage and Hitchin
Snow and ice brought chaos on the roads around Stevenage and Hitchin this morning (Wednesday). In some areas over an inch of snow fell bringing problems in the rush hour with the snow falling on top of already frozen slush. Police reported many roads in S
Snow and ice brought chaos on the roads around Stevenage and Hitchin this morning (Wednesday).
In some areas over an inch of snow fell bringing problems in the rush hour with the snow falling on top of already frozen slush.
Police reported many roads in Stevenage were completely gridlocked with slow moving traffic crawling on the snow covered roads. The main problem areas were Fairlands Way between the A1155 Verity Way
It was a similar story in Hitchin where the B656 was badly affected by the hazardous conditions in London Road, Parkway and Heath Lane.
You may also want to watch:
In some areas of the A1 (M) traffic was almost at a standstill southbound between junction 10 at Stotfold and junctions 9 and 8 at Letchworth Gate and Stevenage Coreys Mill. Further south, traffic was also slow moving beyond junction 7 at Stevenage and further south at the Hatfield Tunnel in the roadworks area.
Police reported one accident in Stevenage with a van ploughing into a brick wall in Wisden Road at the junction with Grace Way. The driver was uninjured.
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 4 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 5 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
- 9 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 10 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system