Snow and ice causes chaos on roads in Stevenage and Hitchin
Snow and ice brought chaos on the roads around Stevenage and Hitchin this morning (Wednesday). In some areas over an inch of snow fell bringing problems in the rush hour with the snow falling on top of already frozen slush. Police reported many roads in S
Snow and ice brought chaos on the roads around Stevenage and Hitchin this morning (Wednesday).
In some areas over an inch of snow fell bringing problems in the rush hour with the snow falling on top of already frozen slush.
Police reported many roads in Stevenage were completely gridlocked with slow moving traffic crawling on the snow covered roads. The main problem areas were Fairlands Way between the A1155 Verity Way
It was a similar story in Hitchin where the B656 was badly affected by the hazardous conditions in London Road, Parkway and Heath Lane.
You may also want to watch:
In some areas of the A1 (M) traffic was almost at a standstill southbound between junction 10 at Stotfold and junctions 9 and 8 at Letchworth Gate and Stevenage Coreys Mill. Further south, traffic was also slow moving beyond junction 7 at Stevenage and further south at the Hatfield Tunnel in the roadworks area.
Police reported one accident in Stevenage with a van ploughing into a brick wall in Wisden Road at the junction with Grace Way. The driver was uninjured.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 3 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 4 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers
- 8 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 9 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 10 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award