Smelly bins are a real problem
Regarding Carla Snook in a larva about maggots (The Comet July 20), I live in Biggleswade and I agree entirely with what she says about maggots, flies and smelly black dustbins. I wrote to Mid Beds District Council last week about those very same problems
Regarding Carla Snook in a larva about maggots (The Comet July 20), I live in Biggleswade and I agree entirely with what she says about maggots, flies and smelly black dustbins.
I wrote to Mid Beds District Council last week about those very same problems. They are caused by the heat and by the fortnightly food and rubbish collections.
I have asked the council to valet the bins in the summer. What I would really like is for the council to go back to weekly black bin collections. I have been fighting them on this issue since last summer, but they will not listen.
I took my bin problem to the Department of the Environment in London, they are currently investigating whether there is a health hazard involved, they will report in December.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, we must all keep lobbying the council. They admit they have had a lot of complaints about the fortnightly rubbish collections.
MARY C SMITH, Windermere Drive, Biggleswade
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 5 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 6 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
* Like Carla, I have only been living in Biggleswade a short while, since last November. I cannot believe the council only collects the rubbish once every two weeks! It is a definite health hazard - you cannot go past a bin without a swarm of flies hanging around it!
Everything in my bin is wrapped up tightly, but this really makes no difference! The rubbish needs to be collected every week. If North Herts council can do it why cannot Mid-Beds?
LISA MARTIN, Brunel Drive, Biggleswade