Smelly bins are a real problem
Regarding Carla Snook in a larva about maggots (The Comet July 20), I live in Biggleswade and I agree entirely with what she says about maggots, flies and smelly black dustbins. I wrote to Mid Beds District Council last week about those very same problems
Regarding Carla Snook in a larva about maggots (The Comet July 20), I live in Biggleswade and I agree entirely with what she says about maggots, flies and smelly black dustbins.
I wrote to Mid Beds District Council last week about those very same problems. They are caused by the heat and by the fortnightly food and rubbish collections.
I have asked the council to valet the bins in the summer. What I would really like is for the council to go back to weekly black bin collections. I have been fighting them on this issue since last summer, but they will not listen.
I took my bin problem to the Department of the Environment in London, they are currently investigating whether there is a health hazard involved, they will report in December.
Meanwhile, we must all keep lobbying the council. They admit they have had a lot of complaints about the fortnightly rubbish collections.
MARY C SMITH, Windermere Drive, Biggleswade
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 3 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 4 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 5 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 6 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 7 Stevenage Armed Forces Day in pictures
- 8 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
- 9 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 10 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
* Like Carla, I have only been living in Biggleswade a short while, since last November. I cannot believe the council only collects the rubbish once every two weeks! It is a definite health hazard - you cannot go past a bin without a swarm of flies hanging around it!
Everything in my bin is wrapped up tightly, but this really makes no difference! The rubbish needs to be collected every week. If North Herts council can do it why cannot Mid-Beds?
LISA MARTIN, Brunel Drive, Biggleswade