Smelly bins are a real problem
Regarding Carla Snook in a larva about maggots (The Comet July 20), I live in Biggleswade and I agree entirely with what she says about maggots, flies and smelly black dustbins. I wrote to Mid Beds District Council last week about those very same problems
Regarding Carla Snook in a larva about maggots (The Comet July 20), I live in Biggleswade and I agree entirely with what she says about maggots, flies and smelly black dustbins.
I wrote to Mid Beds District Council last week about those very same problems. They are caused by the heat and by the fortnightly food and rubbish collections.
I have asked the council to valet the bins in the summer. What I would really like is for the council to go back to weekly black bin collections. I have been fighting them on this issue since last summer, but they will not listen.
I took my bin problem to the Department of the Environment in London, they are currently investigating whether there is a health hazard involved, they will report in December.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, we must all keep lobbying the council. They admit they have had a lot of complaints about the fortnightly rubbish collections.
MARY C SMITH, Windermere Drive, Biggleswade
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
* Like Carla, I have only been living in Biggleswade a short while, since last November. I cannot believe the council only collects the rubbish once every two weeks! It is a definite health hazard - you cannot go past a bin without a swarm of flies hanging around it!
Everything in my bin is wrapped up tightly, but this really makes no difference! The rubbish needs to be collected every week. If North Herts council can do it why cannot Mid-Beds?
LISA MARTIN, Brunel Drive, Biggleswade