Slip road still a shocker
SIR – The revised temporary layout at the A1(M) northbound Junction 9 exit to Letchworth is a complete disaster. Just before the Easter holiday, some cones were added to force slip road users to join the roundabout exit at a sharper angle, presumably to a
SIR - The revised temporary layout at the A1(M) northbound Junction 9 exit to Letchworth is a complete disaster. Just before the Easter holiday, some cones were added to force slip road users to join the roundabout exit at a sharper angle, presumably to aid visibility. All this has done is to make it more difficult to negotiate the sharp chicane to join Letchworth Gate.
Since the initial furore over the junction design, caused mainly because the junction was opened before the traffic lights became operational, the traffic has settled down. The main problem is now caused by Letchworth bound traffic leaving the motorway in the middle lane, passing through the lights, and then turning left. At this time, using the new slip lane should mean a free route into Letchworth Gate, but inconsiderate drivers can cause confusion as they should not be using this lane.
Previously it was possible to use a correctly adjusted wing mirror to join the road, just like changing lanes on a motorway. Now the trial layout forces all cars to stop at the junction, as they cannot judge clearly what cars on the roundabout are going to do. With the greater volume of traffic after the holiday, queues on the slip lane now reach back almost to the motorway.
This will only cause more traffic to use the incorrect centre lane to pass through the lights before turning left, exacerbating the problem.
You may also want to watch:
The cones should be removed immediately and work undertaken to provide traffic with a greater distance to filter in along Letchworth Gate, a solution which should have been designed initially.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
Letchworth Garden City