Shops are closing
SIR - What is happening to Letchworth with the closure of the small shop premises in The Wynd, along with the planned closure of the market? The small individual traders of Letchworth seem destined to become a thing of the past as the affordable shop and
SIR - What is happening to Letchworth with the closure of the small shop premises in The Wynd, along with the planned closure of the market?
The small individual traders of Letchworth seem destined to become a thing of the past as the affordable shop and market premises are forced to give way to large modern developments which only the multiple chains will be able to afford.
The closure of the market will leave Letchworth with no independent greengrocer, no haberdasher and only one butcher. Whatever happened to private enterprise? Letchworth is unique in being the first garden city and was once an interesting little town with interesting independent traders. It is rapidly becoming the same as any other bland town with the same multiples occupying trading premises as the small trader is priced out.
The majority of big traders have moved out of the town and onto the business park so why are Argos being permitted to have the market? Surely they should also be encouraged to move to the business park? Do we really want the heavy Argos vehicles rumbling through the town?
You may also want to watch:
Like many residents, I am in despair over changes being made to our town. I feel strongly that small traders should be given affordable opportunity to trade. These redevelopments go against the basic principles laid down by the founders and pioneers of the garden city whose plans were for affordable space for everyone and private enterprise was encouraged. Let us not allow the small trader to be pushed out of business by the big boys whose money talks. Come on Letchworth folk - make your voice heard.
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 4 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 5 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 6 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 7 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 8 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 9 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory