Shame by the railway station
SIR – Last week we took a rare train journey to London. Being a little early, I had a wander around and was appalled to observe the quantity of food wrappers, bottles and cans, general rubbish, uneaten food and drink, and general filth behind the picket f
SIR - Last week we took a rare train journey to London. Being a little early, I had a wander around and was appalled to observe the quantity of food wrappers, bottles and cans, general rubbish, uneaten food and drink, and general filth behind the picket fence and up the bank to the rear of the small car park.
It had the appearance of a council refuse tip. The age of much of it must be many months old, if not more. Ebenezer Howard would turn in his grave.
Apart from this being visually unacceptable, is there not a public health issue here? I do not know who owns the land, but someone must be responsible for keeping this area clean. We are regularly reminded of the increase of the rat population due to discarded food in urban areas. Are we expected to accept this situation as just one of those things in today's world? I think not.
T H JEEVES
Letchworth Garden City
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
EDITOR'S NOTE: Our reader supplied pictures of the mess around the station but when Comet photographer Alan Millard took a closer look he found even more disturbing litter which included drugs and needles which are pictured above.