Shame by the railway station
SIR – Last week we took a rare train journey to London. Being a little early, I had a wander around and was appalled to observe the quantity of food wrappers, bottles and cans, general rubbish, uneaten food and drink, and general filth behind the picket f
SIR - Last week we took a rare train journey to London. Being a little early, I had a wander around and was appalled to observe the quantity of food wrappers, bottles and cans, general rubbish, uneaten food and drink, and general filth behind the picket fence and up the bank to the rear of the small car park.
It had the appearance of a council refuse tip. The age of much of it must be many months old, if not more. Ebenezer Howard would turn in his grave.
Apart from this being visually unacceptable, is there not a public health issue here? I do not know who owns the land, but someone must be responsible for keeping this area clean. We are regularly reminded of the increase of the rat population due to discarded food in urban areas. Are we expected to accept this situation as just one of those things in today's world? I think not.
T H JEEVES
Letchworth Garden City
- 1 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 2 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 3 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 4 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 5 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 6 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 7 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Standalone 10k keeps getting better and better says race boss
- 9 Over 55s invited to 'Ageing Together' event to improve housing needs
- 10 Education provider for children who struggle in school celebrates milestone
EDITOR'S NOTE: Our reader supplied pictures of the mess around the station but when Comet photographer Alan Millard took a closer look he found even more disturbing litter which included drugs and needles which are pictured above.