SIR – North Herts District Council state that the new parking layout in Baldock town centre has been designed to regulate parking activities; by which they mean that the proposed parking restrictions are intended to deter commuters from parking in the tow
SIR - North Herts District Council state that the new parking layout in Baldock town centre has been designed to regulate parking activities; by which they mean that the proposed parking restrictions are intended to deter commuters from parking in the town centre, and to encourage shoppers by providing convenient parking. That is all well and good - but it should not be at the expense of local residents.
The council's reversal of its original promise (to allocate parking permits to town centre residents who have no parking space) means that many residents will be forced to park on the outskirts of town. Most shops now have parking outside their premises where they did not previously. The council now intends that residents who previously were able to park in the town centre will no longer be able to do so.
Residents are shoppers too - so why are we being treated with less consideration than visitors to the town?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Body found in search for missing woman
- 2 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 6 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 7 Town's multi-million pound investment is 'once in a generation' opportunity
- 8 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 9 More than £250,000 funding agreed for new Stevenage school
SIR - I have watched the Baldock town centre works from the start.
I wondered what they would do with our town, encourage shoppers or more visitors? Maybe, well just the opposite, I think. The road has been narrowed, the parking a danger, as you need to reverse into the road, or trying to reverse is causing a problem. The Mansfield Road junction is now a hazard as you cannot see cars coming from the right, because of parked cars.
They have taken away the Pelican crossings, so partially sighted people now have a problem to cross the road, and the new crossings at the mini roundabout are an accident waiting to happen.
Now, let us move on to double yellow lines. Have they gone mad? Where are people supposed to park? In Hitchin Street they used to start after the wool shop, now they go way down the road. People wishing to go to church or to a funeral have nowhere to go.
What are they doing? I thought they wanted to encourage people to open shops, and revitalise the town, but there is no parking, no customers, no shops, no Baldock. Please think again.
NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED