Sad farewell to the chimneys
Does anyone care? I write with regard to the power station in Works Road, Letchworth. I was shocked and saddened to discover that the power station is in the midst of demolition. I moved to Letchworth in 1964 and spent a very happy childhood and adolesce
Does anyone care? I write with regard to the power station in Works Road, Letchworth. I was shocked and saddened to discover that the power station is in the midst of demolition.
I moved to Letchworth in 1964 and spent a very happy childhood and adolescent years in the town. I remember excitedly looking out of my bedroom window at the old brick built chimney and the two cooling towers on November 5 waiting for the fireworks to start. When that chimney disappeared those two "Big cigars" appeared and have been a landmark for Letchworth ever since. As I often pass by on the A1 you know you are near Letchworth when the two towers are on the horizon.
I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on the dates of the building and the demolition of the old chimney and the building and working life of the existing towers before they disappear for ever!
DESIREE HUGHES, Hillrise, Sundon Park, Luton
You may also want to watch:
* EDITOR'S NOTE: Make the most of them! We have been informed that the demolition of the chimneys should be completed within six to eight weeks at the latest.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 9 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 10 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema