Sad farewell to the chimneys
Does anyone care? I write with regard to the power station in Works Road, Letchworth. I was shocked and saddened to discover that the power station is in the midst of demolition. I moved to Letchworth in 1964 and spent a very happy childhood and adolesce
Does anyone care? I write with regard to the power station in Works Road, Letchworth. I was shocked and saddened to discover that the power station is in the midst of demolition.
I moved to Letchworth in 1964 and spent a very happy childhood and adolescent years in the town. I remember excitedly looking out of my bedroom window at the old brick built chimney and the two cooling towers on November 5 waiting for the fireworks to start. When that chimney disappeared those two "Big cigars" appeared and have been a landmark for Letchworth ever since. As I often pass by on the A1 you know you are near Letchworth when the two towers are on the horizon.
I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on the dates of the building and the demolition of the old chimney and the building and working life of the existing towers before they disappear for ever!
DESIREE HUGHES, Hillrise, Sundon Park, Luton
You may also want to watch:
* EDITOR'S NOTE: Make the most of them! We have been informed that the demolition of the chimneys should be completed within six to eight weeks at the latest.
- 1 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 2 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 3 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 8 Letchworth hub will get to the 'heart of community'
- 9 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 10 Sacrifices made as Stevenage defiantly answer their critics at Harrogate Town