SIR – It happened to a few thousand households in this area, a two day strike from council workers and for us all an interruption in rubbish collection last month. It was a huge inconvenience and most people stowed their bags of rubbish away. However, a f
SIR - It happened to a few thousand households in this area, a two day strike from council workers and for us all an interruption in rubbish collection last month.
It was a huge inconvenience and most people stowed their bags of rubbish away. However, a few people left their bags and boxes out for the duration until collection a week later. Some bags were vandalised, some were ripped open by animals and some were rather smelly.
Personally, the situation did not bother me as I recycle all paper, tins, glass and cardboard. I still had only one bag for the fortnight and was it difficult to achieve? No. We normally only cook what we can consume or refrigerate or freeze, and any food waste is put into a bread bag, tied and frozen until the day of rubbish collection. It really works.
However, there was a smelly problem and that is the garden waste bin. The last collection was on July 2, we lost the July 16 collection, so the next one was on July 30, which means a month had passed from one collection to the next. Vegetation started to rot and decompose creating very smelly bins. However, if the bin can be stored away from the houses, and in the shade, the lid could be left open and a natural breeze would help, but a smelly bin might have to be flushed out.
You may also want to watch:
NAME AND ADDRESS
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising