Recycling is made difficult
SIR – These days you can barely open a paper without warnings of the cost of global warming and the effects of landfill sites so why is it so difficult to recycle in North Herts? Granted, paper and glass is picked up with the weekly rubbish collection but
SIR - These days you can barely open a paper without warnings of the cost of global warming and the effects of landfill sites so why is it so difficult to recycle in North Herts?
Granted, paper and glass is picked up with the weekly rubbish collection but what about plastic bottles and plastic bags - the most un-environmentally friendly products of all? There are only two places you can take plastic in North Herts and one point - Tesco in Baldock - has suddenly disappeared. Besides, it should not have to take a special effort to recycle because most people simply will not bother. It is so much easier to put it all in the one bin and I do not blame people who do because you really do have to go out of your way to find somewhere to recycle it.
In France and Germany, and doubtless many other European countries, they have recycle points in every town and village, even the smallest hamlet has a recycle point where you can take your glass, paper, plastic, cans and tins. So why don't we have these here? Does it come down to cost because surely that's a false economy - it is going to cost us an awful lot more in the long run, in more ways than one. Come on NHDC, when are you going to do something about it?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Do you recognise these people?